Our Vision, Our Mission

Monday, March 11, 2013

We All Want To Be Somebody


Thomas Merton wrote, “I am finally coming to the realization that my greatest ambition is to be what I already am.” Determining who we ‘really are’ is sometimes an easy task. I know people who have known exactly what they have wanted to do since they were children. However, sometimes, and I would venture to say MOST of the time, it can end up being an excruciatingly long and hard journey of searching within ourselves. If I only had a nickel for every time I have heard someone who is in their 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, or even older say they are still trying to figure out what they want to be when they grow up... I have wrestled with it myself from time to time as I go through different phases of my life. 

I have always considered myself someone who can easily be alone, but as I age (very gracefully I might add) I realize that having healthy habits and  hobbies, and close friendships is what has always enhanced my ability to feel content with where I am and maybe even with WHO I am. As I have moved from place to place most of my new friendships have been born as a direct result of a particular activity I have been involved in. Almost two years ago I found a passion for trail running and once again this pastime has brought some great new friends into my life - you all know who you are. Not only has this new hobby/addiction helped me be more content with where I am in life it has also helped me renew my passion for helping the poor and needy of this world as we have incorporating running into this fundraiser for the Calo Me Lare Orphanage. Many of my new running friends have joined us in this endeavor, and for that reason alone I can say I am absolutely thankful to be able to run.


I have a song on my Ipod 'running' playlist by Thousand Foot Krutch right now that includes this lyric; "We all want to be somebody, we just need a taste of who we are".I have definitely 'tasted' the joy and pain that can result from testing myself on the trails, however, being fairly new to this running game I have not yet allowed myself to declare that I am a “runner”. Maybe that will change if I successfully complete the 100 mile race that I am registered for on March 23rd. And if I finally do proclaim that I am a “runner” I really won’t be asserting anything new. Because even though I didn't run much before April of 2011, I feel as though deep inside I have always been a runner. And as I have applied Merton's philosophy to the bigger picture of LIFE, the lesson I have learned is that I don’t need to try to BE Somebody, I already AM Somebody. Who are You?
--Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment