Our Vision, Our Mission

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Stupid Idiots

Today marks my 2 year anniversary. No, I don't mean my wedding anniversary (that will be 5 years in May). April 15, 2011 was the day I started running. I'm sure most of you who know me have heard the story before but for anyone one else who might read this I'll tell it again.

For months Jono had been asking me to go running with him. He had started running and if you know him he needs a concrete goal for activities like exercise. So of course he trained for a marathon and when I heard about it I just thought, "okay, too bad for him because running sucks". Then a friend of mine said he was training for a 50K (31 miles) and my only response was, "that's just stupid". Little did I know I would soon become "Stupid".

So back to my running invitation. It was sometime in February and I had actually planned on finally joining Jono on Tulsa's Turkey Mountain for a Sunday morning run with the TATUR (Tulsa Area Trail and Ultra Runners)  group. I was mainly going to do it to shut Jono up and because I felt bad for saying NO so many times. When I woke up the morning of what was to be my first run I checked the weather and saw that the high temperature for the day was only going to be in the 20's. Of course I called and canceled figuring no one else would be running in those temps. However, later that day I found out that I had been proven wrong and there was actually a decent size group of runners who ended up braving the sub-freezing temps. My response, "what a bunch of idiots!" Little did I know I would soon become one of those "Idiots".

But I digress...again. I still remember the exact conversation that Jono and I had that made me finally say, "OK, I'll do it". Well maybe not exactly so I'll paraphrase.
Jono: I really think this is a good fit for you (because it was running in the woods and he knew I loved hiking and backpacking in the mountains).
Me: But my knees hurt when I run and my back is jacked up. The chiropractor isn't even helping. Whaaa, whaaa, whaaa, blah, blah, blah.
Jono: Running on trails is easy on your knees. Not like running on pavement.
Me: Yeah, Yeah, whatever. I'll see you out there.

And that brings me to April 15th, 2011. Maybe I was celebrating the fact that I had made it through another tax day or maybe it was just time for a change. Whatever the reason was I finally met my long time friend in the parking lot of the Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness Area for a little stroll in the woods. After a little coaching from Jono we took off. I was wearing some really horrible shoes that I had bought years ago and that had been converted into lawn mowing shoes. The rest of my outfit was just as non-runner friendly but since I didn't know any better I didn't care. Especially after we got into the woods. I couldn't believe that there was this "wilderness" area right in town. Why had I never been here? After a few minutes of running I started to get that same feeling I get when I am hiking or backpacking in the "real" mountains and after that it was all over. I was hooked! We ended up running and walking somewhere between four and five miles that day. The most I had run before this was MAYBE three miles, probably more like two.

I wanted more and ended up going back out to Turkey Mountain 2 more times that week by myself. I mentioned to the friend who I had originally said "running a 50K is just stupid" that I now loved running but would never want to run long distances. However, Jono immediately saw my enthusiasm and did what any good friend would do. He started to convert me into one of those "Stupid Idiots". First task was to look for a nearby trail race so I could experience how fun they are. It couldn't have been a full week before he found a little fun run put on by AURA (Arkansas Ultra Running Association) at Mount Magazine State Park. There were a couple of minor concerns though. It was only 5 weeks from when I started running, and it was 18 miles with a 3 mile climb of numerous switchbacks close to the end. By this time my mental capacities had already started to retard from the running so these two issues didn't register as obstacles and I started training. Three weeks after April 15th I endured 13 solo miles on Turkey Mountain and soon after I tackled the 18 miles in Arkansas.
Thus began my penchant for the pain that only long distance runners can know. And my reward has been as follows:
(1.) In the past two years I have had just about every injury related to running that is possible.
(2.)  I have run when it was the most beautiful weather imaginable, in the cold rain and snow, and  even in a blizzard.
(3.) I have run when the temperature was in the teens, and I ran on what was supposed to be the hottest day ever recorded in Tulsa (we actually missed it by a few degrees but it was still well over 100).
(4.) I have completed a half marathon, two 25Ks, four marathons, seven 50Ks, 86.5 miles of a 100 mile race, countless training runs over 20 miles and I will soon attempt a 101K on the incredibly technical Flat Rock 101 trail race.
(5.) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...I have met and become good friends with well over a dozen like-minded runners!!
(6.) AND EVEN MORE IMPORTANTLY...We have put our passion to work for a great cause of building a new school for the orphans of Calo Me Lare!

So I guess all I have left to say is THANK YOU! Thank you Jono for being persistent in getting me out on the trails and then pushing me to do more. Thank you to my wife for allowing me to follow my new found passion. Thank you trails for curing my back problems. Thank You friends and family for cheering me on. Thank You running buddies for allowing me to tag along on all those training runs. Thank You everyone who has supported us at Run to Uganda. I know we are probably very annoying sometimes as we try to raise $50,000. And Thank You God for allowing me to discover the "Stupid Idiot" that was locked up inside of me itching to get out for so long.
--Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment