Our Vision, Our Mission

Monday, January 21, 2013

Ouachita Switchbacks 50K Race Report


BETTER!
A few weeks ago I found out that I wouldn’t be able to run Athens Big Fork (ABF) marathon because I had already committed to Winter Rock 25k on the same day. I love ‘The Rock’ course but I had heard how difficult ABF was and I was craving a “New Years Challenge”. Granted, the Rock is always a challenge but I wanted something new. On the way home from the race, Aaron mentioned that the Ouachita Switchbacks 50k on the 19th would possibly be harder than ABF. For the past 2 ½ months I had planned on running the Switchbacks so, in the words of Barney Stinson, “Challenge accepted”!!!
Yes there is a trail there
Photo courtesy Russell Bennett

The morning of the 19th was beautiful. The weather had cooperated and a few minutes after 8:00 AM 30-40 runners headed out to tackle what I soon found out would be the toughest course I had ever run. As I normally do, I started with between ½ and ¾ of the runners in front of me and a group of us settled in a pace that I was comfortable with to get warmed up. But once my muscles loosened up I wanted around some people so I could run at the pace my body was telling me was suitable to how I was feeling.

The first section was pretty technical but most of it was still runnable. However, that would soon change. After the aid station at mile 3.75 the trail started heading uphill. This was the beginning of what was essentially a 5 mile climb divided into 2 sections. The first being about 3.5 miles without much relief, followed by a .7 mile drop before heading up the 1.3 mile section of switchbacks that gives the race it’s name. Once we made it to the top we got to turn around and go back our starting point. Now this was going to be the fun and fast part, right? Well, it was easier on the quads but the trail was covered in golf ball to baseball sized loose rocks with sharp, pointy rocks fixed into the ground. These made it difficult to navigate without breaking an ankle, but to top it off there was a layer leaves and pine needles that hid most of those obstacles. And for a little added fun, little thorny vines hung over the trail mostly shin high just waiting to grab on for the ride. So instead of blazing downhill to make up time I had to take it a little easier and focus on getting down with my ankles and knees in their proper alignment.

Aside from a stupid misstep at an easy water crossing leaving both of my feet wet, the trip back to the aid station was pretty uneventful. I still had plenty of gas left in the tank and thought I would cruise on in to the start area. However, I was beginning to remember this next section of the trail being a long downhill section on the way out which would mean another climb was in coming up. My memory was correct and according to my Garmin it was around 1.75 miles of hills followed by technical ups and downs all the way to the parking lot. I ended up speed walking most of the hills and made the 17.9 mile round trip in 3 hours and 55 minutes.
Back at the start line I had some soul searching to do. My feet and knees ached from the rocks, my troubled Achilles was sore and my IT band had flared up at mile 2 and was still annoying me. The Race Director, Tommy Brennan, was there with a big smile on his face and lots of encouragement. I told him that I wasn’t sure if I could run another 13+ miles on trails that were that technical. He assured me that the next out and back section was not near as technical but did have a hill to climb both directions. I decided that I hadn’t come all this way to run 18 miles, so after re-filling water and getting some food down I headed out looking forward to some less technical and more runnable trails.

One of many Road Blocks
Photo courtesy of Russell Bennett
After the first mile I was cussing Tommy. This trail was even more treacherous than the first and I don’t think it was just because I was already a little fatigued. So it was time to break out my secret weapon…Music. I took off my hydration pack while hiking up the almost 2.5 mile hill, took out my phone and ear buds and got ready to see if a little music could get my spirits back up. When I turned on my phone I noticed I had a missed call from my dad. Since I had cell signal I decided to call him back. I needed someone to listen to me bitch and moan a little. After a brief and winded conversation I put on my ear buds and picked up the pace to the music. But it wasn’t long before I felt like I had had enough of the rocks and was contemplating turning around. It was about this time when a verse from a song changed my whole mind-set back to where it needed to be. “In the end, what leaves you broken; In the end…Makes you Better.”
It’s funny how 13 words completely changed my perspective. I was going to tough this thing out all the way to the finish, and more importantly, I was going to do it the way I try to make myself run all my races…With a smile on my face. Persevering was going to MAKE ME BETTER. Not only physically but mentally and emotionally. By the time I hit the TATUR staffed aid station I was whipped but still managed a smile and a positive attitude. It was at this point that I found out I was in 5th place. I didn’t think there was anyone close behind me so I took it easy on the roughest sections and kept about a 10 minute/mile pace on the runnable areas for the next 1.5 miles to the river and the turnaround.

Photo courtesy of Russell Bennett
I had only been running for about 1 minute after the turnaround when I passed another runner coming at me. It shocked me that he was so close behind so I decided to turn up the speed and do everything I could to not get passed. I tackled the last 2.5 mile hill as hard as I could, running any section that was semi-flat and hiking as fast as I could on the steeper parts. Running between 8:30 to 9:30 miles on the semi-flat areas I made it back to the parking lot with a 31.1 mile total time of 7 hours 33 minutes and still in 5th place. My Garmin showed 11,400 feet of elevation gain for the race. Donovan, who I rode to the race with, and Russell were there to cheer me in. All but 9 starters decided that the first 17.9 miles was where they would end their run, and almost all of them had already gone home so there was no celebrating or after party for me. Just a quick bowl of chili, half a beer and the 3.5 hour drive home. Now it’s a day later and my muscles ache, it’s hard to get up off the couch, and my walk with the dog was more like a shuffle, but, in the end…It made me BETTER!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome race report! What a beautiful course and perfect day with the great weather.
    Hats off to you..I ran the 25K and don't think there is any way I could of managed a 50K on that course. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete